Driver's Licenses To Change
Secure ID won't aid at border
In about two years, Michigan will be required to issue new driver's licenses that will be just as secure as a U.S. passport. But don't expect to be able to use that new license to get back into the country from Canada. [...]
Starting in January 2008, U.S. citizens will have to show a passport or some other alternative secure document that shows their identity and citizenship when they re-enter the country from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Panama. Currently, Americans need show only their driver's licenses or a birth certificate when they re-enter from those countries. The new requirement is supposed to make it harder for terrorists to enter the United States.
Michigan Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land came up with the idea of a dual-purpose driver's license when she realized that the federal government would require air travelers to have either a passport or one of the new driver's licenses when they fly within the United States.
But there's just not enough time to merge the new drivers license and passport requirements, said Homeland Security spokesman Jared Agen, whose agency is also working on regulations for the new licenses. [...]
Detroit Free Press March 31, 2006

3 Comments:
So this new issued license will still not be good enough to re-enter the country.
Passports are forged all the time. And the funniest thing was when we renewed our passports, we sent in the old ones and the application.
So when the bright folks working there sent them back, they changed the sex of my daughter to male.
Makes you wonder. I am not making this up.
Crazy stuff, isn't it Lizzy? Last time I renewed my driver's license when it came back I found out my eye color had changed and I grew a couple inches! Yes, it does make you wonder.
I don't see how the waste of time, effort and money going into doing these new kinds IDs is going to help protect the country from anything. Just like all that money wasted on airport security was "supposed to make it harder for terrorists" it's just another thing to make things harder on us citizens, I think.
Yeech.
Post a Comment
<< Home